Monday 2 August 2010

Smaller and Future Proof

I've commenced a mind numbingly tedious 2 day task of applying IPTC data and keywords to my entire image library...a self inflicted penance for my laziness and ignorance on the subject.

The keywords are to help me quickly track down images and the IPTC data is to apply basic copyright information to make my images more traceable.

I've created a template, which applies the basic, repetitive information on import into Lightroom.
From there I can add additional information to the imported collection.

The second task I have undertaken is to convert all of my Canon RAW images to DNG format.
(Digital Negatives)

DNG is an open source file type which has two main advantages
  • Smaller file size
  • future proofing
My research on the subject reveals the jury is still out on the subject of DNG.
Some are concerned that vital information may be removed from the manufacturers' proprietary RAW format file, and may affect the file when using the manufacturers' bundled software applications.

I don't use any of the the Canon software, especially as Lightroom now fully supports tethered shooting.

I have triple backups of all my files.
The original files live on my main drive.

They are backed up to a USB external drive, which in turn is synced overnight to a second USB backup drive.
Periodically, I burn the backups to DVD and store off-site.

I prefer to use external drives, in case I suffer a hardware or operating system failure that prevents me accessing my drives on my main workstation.

In the event of a failure, I can simply plug the USB drive into any other workstation.

I have been bitten more times than I would like to admit for having a sloppy archiving/backup routine.

I like to be able to sleep at night without worrying about this subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment